What can I expect from our Session?
Prior to our session, we will discuss (via phone, email, or in person) what style you’re visualizing and I’ll answer any questions you may have on how to get ready for your session, clothing and location recommendations, etc.
Bring your ideas – I’m happy to incorporate them and I’d love your input! If you see a particular photo (or many photos) on my blog that you love, let me know. Please also feel free to share any photos you see online or on Pinterest that represents the style that you’re looking for.
First and foremost, it’s important to me that you and your family have a good time and feel comfortable being photographed. I want to capture the beautiful, natural moments and will help arrange a few poses as well.
Where should we have our Session?
I photograph on-location, primarily with natural light (but will have my flash ready and on-hand). There are many great locations around Whatcom and Skagit County that I can recommend – let me know what you’re visualizing: beach, park, urban/downtown, abandoned buildings, barns, golden fields, etc.
What time of day should we schedule our Session?
I try to schedule all of my sessions 1 ½ or 2 hours before sunset for the best light. That said, we can work around nap/bedtime schedules.
Session Planning Tips
Newborns: I recommend that you schedule your session prior to your baby’s birth to ensure a spot on my calendar. Then, send me an email soon after you deliver so we can arrange a time for the session – newborn sessions must be scheduled within 14 days of birth. After two weeks, they are less likely to sleep or curl up.
Maternity: The best time to schedule your session is within your 3rd trimester.
Family: Please have the kids fed and well-rested before our session. Please also bring along a favorite toy, which I may use to hold their attention during their photographs.
What should I wear?
- Be yourself – wear something that makes YOU feel good
- Comfortable clothes that you can sit, stand, run, and jump around in
- Coordinating (not matching) solid, simple colors with texture
- Choose long pants for men/ladies or a skirt below the knee for ladies so that your legs don’t draw attention from you or your group’s face(s)
- Accessories such as necklaces, jackets, hats, headbands, scarfs, fancy shoes/boots, etc
- Choose dark socks and footwear (unless it’s a barefoot photo on the beach) – white will stick out
- Google search “What to Wear Guides” or check out Pinterest for inspiration
- Bring an extra change of clothes to your session if you’d like. You are allowed unlimited clothing changes within your session timeframe.
What if it’s raining on our scheduled Session date?
In case of rain, we’ll discuss by phone the day of your session. If it is determined that the weather is really bad and prevents your session from taking place, we’ll decide on a mutually agreed-upon date/time and reschedule.
What happens after our Session?
Following your session, I will carefully select the best images for editing and retouching and your final images will be ready within 10 – 14 days. Personal Online Image Galleries for purchasing and sharing with family and friends are available upon request.
Where should I print my images?
In order to preserve the correct color tones and image quality, I recommend:
Professional Gallery Wrap Canvases and Specialty Items are also available – please inquire for pricing.